99mTc

Sodium pertechenate (99mTc) injection

99mTc decays mainly by gamma emission, about 98.6% of these gamma decays result in 140.5 keV gamma rays. The remaining 1.4% are gammas of a slightly higher energy at 142.6 keV. These radiations are picked up by the gamma camera when 99mTc is used as a radioactive tracer. In medical centres, the 99mTc is produced from the decay of 99Mo trapped on a 99Mo/99mTc generator.

The principal tests for sodium pertechenate (99mTc) injection are:

Test

     Technic/instrument

Appearance

     Visual

Radionuclidic Identity

     Gamma-ray spectroscopy with Multichannel analyser

pH

    pH-meter or pH strips with reading through a reflexion photometer

Aluminium

     Colorimetric test

Radiochemical purity (99mTc-Pertechnate ion)

     Gamma-radio-TLC

Radionuclidic purity : preliminary test (with a shield of lead),     

   iodine-131, Molybdenium-99, Ruthenium-103, Strontium-89     

     Gamma-ray spectroscopy with Multichannel analyser

Sterility

     Compendial method

Radioactivity

     Dose calibrator